Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Reclaiming Your Innocence

I'd like to think that I'm more spontaneous than I am. I'd like to think that I love more with my heart and think less with my head. I'd like to think that I'm way less cynical than I actually am.

But truth be told, that's just not me. I'm a realist, a cynic, and somewhere along the line, I became somewhat jaded.

This isn't a recent discovery by any means, it's just something that has been blatently obvious in recent months.

I have friends who dive whole heartedly into new relationships. Who take chance after chance. Who repeatedly get their heart broken over and over...but they continue to put themselves out there. They don't mind doing it because they know that in order to reap the reward, they have to be able to.

While I, on the other hand, take three weeks to decide if I want to switch cell phone providers.

The sermon this weekend was about "reclaiming innocence." George spoke about how there are two ways we can approach life:
The way of innocence
The way of cynicism

My mom says I've been cynical my whole life. Is it something you can just change? Can you truly reclaim your childlike innocence without being naive?

1 comment:

Sara said...

Sometimes the safety of cynicism is appealing to me. But obviously, I'd rather see what's behind door number 2.

You are who you are, and there's nothing wrong with that. I love that you calculate the risks and make good decisions. But the other way has its advantages. There will come a point when you take the plunge because your heart won't let you do anything else.

And I can't wait to watch that happen! I love you!