Tuesday, July 15, 2008

In the Dominican Republic...

7.15.08
Wow! The Dominican Republic. First impressions...it's hot...and noisy.

I'm not sure how hot it is, but it feels incredibly HOT!

We had a short "orientation" this afternoon and after it was over, we were told we had a couple hours before dinner. Almost all of us girls came back to the dorm and crashed. I'm sure it had nothing to do with being at the airport at 4:30 this morning! :)

I woke up a few minutes ago, and laid here looking out the second story window down into the city streets of Santiago. Already, I can tell that the culture is so different. Laying here, I can hear the sounds of life being lived outside. Mopeds and motor scooters, honking horns, kids playing catch, some man selling fruit out of his truck, a baby crying, people speaking Spanish, passing cars, more mopeds...

Everything is so loud outside and the sounds come sweeping in our windows with the wind. Yet almost everyone around me is sleeping soundly. What a great way to start the week.

No comments: