Friday, June 11, 2010

View From the Top

I’ve had a rough couple months. And when I say “rough” I mean the “crawl into bed and never get out” kind of rough.

I’m by no means the kind of girl that everything falls into my lap. But it seems as of late, it seems like every turn I take I’m getting punched in the face, or the gut, or any other place that it would hurt to get punched. I believe most of us refer to these times as valleys.

Valley: In geology, a valley is a depression with predominant extent in one direction.

Depressing, huh?

And as depressing as it is, I feel like it’s where I’ve been the last couple months and it couldn’t be more descriptive.

I’ve been stressed out and stretched physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. I’m exhausted.

So I ask you this. When you find yourself in the valley with the steep walls and narrow bottoms trying to take over your every breath, where is it that you turn? I know the Sunday school answers. But honestly, where is it that you turn? As easy as the question should be to answer, if I’m 100% honest with myself, my answer is not the same answer I would have provided as a vacation bible school as a 10 year old. Sadly, my answer would include friends, family, tv, movies, eating, working, pretty much anything to occupy my time. Anything that I could use to avoid facing the truth.

I’ve heard the expression “You must go through the valleys before you can stand on the mountain.” It just seems I’ve found myself halfway across the world on a pretty ridiculous hike when I was only planning on going outside to check the mail in my flip flops. But I’m really ready to see that view from the top.

1 comment:

Nathalie said...

Hi Amy,

It's been about a month since your post and hopefully you're at the top of the mountain by now but to answer your question, I would say that the person or thing to turn to would be yourself. Friends, families and a bowl of ice cream are all great help along the way but the biggest motivation and comfort come from inside. Remember the things you love to do, remember the dreams you forgot about along the way, remember the friendships that died off and do something different. Try to go after one of those dreams, rekindle a friendship or just do something you love you haven't done in a long time.

If all else fails, there's always that ice cream. Good luck! :)