Friday, February 20, 2009

Nothing Like a Good Book


I’ve always loved to read. From the time I learned, I was constantly obsessed with books. I remember in first grade, we had boxes with books to check out. Each box contained a different reading level and we were required to check out books at certain points during the year. I was always so excited to take books from the highest reading level. I loved it. When my brothers were little, I loved it when they’d bring me books and ask me to read to them. At one point, I would record books to tape with my little tape player for my brother to listen to and follow along with while I was at school. During the summers, it was always a challenge for my mom to get my nose out of a book. She would beg me to go outside and play. So I’d take my book outside. I’d lay on a blanket in the yard, or I’d sit on the swing set and read. And I loved it.

I grew up going to the library and I thought borrowing books was the best thing ever. Getting my library card was a great day in my world. I remember holding that piece of plastic like it was magic…and to me, it practically was. I could check out ten books at a time with that card! I had a little book tote that I would go and fill up every couple weeks. I was always having to narrow my choices down because I was always over the limit.

When I was about 11 years old, my cousin, Leslie, gave me one of the greatest gifts ever. There was an old used bookstore in town and they would buy and sell used books. She had been trading in “teen” books and had built up a credit, but was really too old for the books and decided to pass the store credit on to me. If I remember correctly, it was in the $25 range…but it was absolute gold to me! That store became a haven for me. My mom would drop me off and I would spend hours in that little converted house. Each time I went, I would find little treasures. I remember collecting just about every single Sweet Valley Twins and Babysitter’s Club book ever written.

I still love to curl up with a good book! I don’t read as much as I wish I did, mostly because it takes time. There’s just something about escaping to a different world for a bit.

All that, to really say that I’m not really sure what I think about the new Kindle. It has come up several times during conversations the last few days. And I just really don't know what I think. I mean, I guess I get the concept. But I’m not completely sold on the idea. There’s something about reading off a small screen that I don’t think I’d be fond of...even if I can make the font smaller or larger. I’d just rather have the words off the page of a book. There's just something to be said for a good used book! I guess I probably had the same thoughts when MP3 players were first introduced. Actually, no, I’m pretty sure I thought that idea was amazing. I’m just not sure the Kindle can offer me much, except provide more room in my carry on when I’m traveling. What do you guys think? Can you see me curled up on the couch, or laying on the beach with a Kindle? I just think it's probably not for me.

3 comments:

Sara said...

I LOVED SWEET VALLEY TWINS AND BABYSITTERS CLUB!!!!

We belong together!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that "The Book Rack" is still there!!!

Megan said...

I LOVED BSC!

I agree, you can't beat a good book. And for whatever reason, having the actual book is key...I don't need another electronic gadget!