Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Speech


A couple weekends ago, I had the privilege of being a part of one of my best friends weddings.  One of the duties of being maid of honor is to prepare a speech to the bride and groom.  Honestly, I was told that I wasn't going to have to speak at the rehearsal dinner, I was a tad disappointed.  Not that I'm an amazing speaker, but because there was a lot that I wanted to say to this incredibly special couple.  Come to find out, I did have to deliver a quick speech at the rehearsal dinner afterall.  Luckily, neither I, nor the best man was aware, so neither of us had anything prepared.  So, after he delievered a quick speech, I followed in suit.  What I said, was a very watered down version of this.  If I'd had time to prepare, I would have said something along these lines. 

I met Robyn in 2002 while working summer camp. God knew what he was doing when we got paired together as prayer partners and through that experience became very good friends. That summer, we shared some pretty big stuff with each other, but nothing brought us closer together than her upcoming trip to China. Over the next year, we emailed, chatted online, and prayed for each other and through those experiences, our friendship grew.

Our love of movies, music, and all things pop culture only brought us closer together.
Somehow while Robyn was in Washington State for seminary, I planted an idea that we needed to move to Nashville. It worked. While Nashville didn't seem to suit Robyn the way I had hoped it would, we had a great time living together.

She's always been there for me. Whether it was just hanging out, going with me to watch bands in Nashville, or being a shoulder to cry on when my father passed away.
After Robyn and Chris got engaged, I came to Little Rock to visit and to meet the man of her dreams. When she asked me what I thought, my words of wisdom were "If the biggest struggle in your marriage is that he's a neat freak and you're messy, then I think you'll be doing good." Of course I was kidding...kind of. But in all seriousness, I've never seen Robyn get so excited about a boy. From the moment I first heard mention of Chris, she would get so excited when she talked about him.  I'll admit, at first, I was a little leary about the whole thing. But once I met Chris and spent time with the two of them together, I knew that they were perfect for each other.  And I wouldn't say that about just anyone. 

Robyn and Chris, I'm excited that you have found new lifelong friends in each other. I pray that God continues to bless your friendship through prayer. Just as he did with mine and Robyn's friendship so many years ago.



No comments: