Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I just want one snow day!

It seems like the word “snow” in Nashville really translates into “The world is ending!” Now, I realize I didn’t necessarily grow up in the “north.” But I also have come to realize that 150 miles is enough to make a significant difference. The entire three years I’ve lived here, it’s never really snowed in Nashville. I mean, there’s been a light dusting a few times, but no real accumulation. So when I moved here and realized how crazy Nashvillians get about weather, it became quite humorous. The forecast would call for snow flurries and then next thing you know, every grocery store in town was out of bread, milk, and eggs. I always wondered why people did this. Did they really think they were going to get snowed in and not be able to go anywhere for days? I really think that’s what they believed. This past winter, has been even more ridiculous. There have been at least three occasions where school has been cancelled because of inclement weather. And by inclement weather, I really mean rain. The first two times, there was not even a wintry mix…just rain. Earlier this week, it did snow for a whooping 20 minutes. Enough to do absolutely nothing. Now, while people here were talking about not knowing if they could get to work because of the deteriorating driving conditions (um…no!), Kentucky and Arkansas have been in a state of emergency.

Crazy ice storms hit earlier this week leaving inches of ice on top of everything. Trees were weighed down so heavy that limbs were breaking and trees falling all over the place. Most people in the town I’m from don’t have electricity, cable, or water. My mom is in town visiting for a couple weeks. Their power went out on Tuesday night. She has been staying at my grandma’s, who must be one of the few with electricity. Apparently, they’re saying it could take up to a week to restore everyone’s power. And that the county had turned off the limited water supply due to filtering concerns. They were bringing in generators today from other states and should have water restored in the next 24-48 hrs. On top of that, the 911 numbers aren't working. The news is reporting a half a million people are without power in Kentucky alone. Now, while I’m really dying for a snow day right about now, that’s not exactly what I’m talking about!

You can click here and here to read more.

No comments: