Wednesday, July 05, 2006

"We're adults. When did that happen...and how do we make it stop?"

"Remember when you were a kid and your biggest worry was, like, if you'd get a bike for your birthday or if you'd get to eat cookies for breakfast? Being an adult is totally overrated. I mean, seriously...adulthood is responsibility" -Meredith Grey (Grey's Anatomy)

So, I was just watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy from season 1. The above quote rings pretty true. Most of the time I don't feel old enough to have all the responsibility I have...and most of it, I've had for quite some time. It was so much easier to be a kid. All you had to worry about was what time to come in for dinner. Life was playing...having fun. Having a bad day was when your mom cooked something gross for dinner. In my case, it usually had to do with peas.
It'd be great if one day, we could just act like kids. Just to have one day where you don't have to worry about money, sickness, or paying bills, or work, or family problems, or anything else that is constantly on our mind through the course of the day. I want to turn off my cell phone, avoid checking my email, stop checking myspace...and I want to remember how simple life can be. I don't think life was meant to be as hard as we sometimes make it out to be. I just need a reminder of how easy it can be.

I want to play old school Nintendo.

I want to catch lightning bugs.

I want to ride a bike with a friend.

I want to dress up and put on makeup.

I want to eat ice cream for breakfast.

I want to go to a park and feed the ducks and swing on a swingset.

I want to finger paint.

I want to play with sidwalk chalk.

I want to make a masterpiece out of playdoh.

I want to play in a sandbox.

Slowly, I'm going to start checking things off my list. But I might need some play dates to accomplish them all anytime soon. Any takers?

No comments: