Monday, September 27, 2004

refreshing fellowship

this past weekend i went to atlanta to meet up with some people i worked with over the summer. i think this weekend was very much what i expected it to be. i knew that i was in desperate need to get away...to think things through...and to just be around people. and that's exactly what i got. i was able to be around people who love me and care about me, no matter what, because we're brothers and sisters in christ. i know that when they tell me that they love me, or when they say they're praying for me, they mean it...it's genuine. i miss having friends like this and being surrounded by people like this. it was weird that it wasn't weird. the first time we'd hung out post camp, but it was like it was normal. it's hard to explain really, but it was so comfortable to just be around them.

it was good to just get away. i've been here at home for almost 2 months and it gets kind of monotonous, so it was good to drive the open roads to reach a far off magical place. i really liked atlanta. we didn't do a lot while we were there, but i want to go back when i have more time. i fall in love with every big city i visit. it makes my heart beat fast and i get excited about all the stuff going on around me...all the people rushing by...the public transportation. it's all great to me. i love it.

overall, it was just a lot of fun. we just hung out a lot and talked. we had a 2 hour discussion about old tv shows and funny things about them. it made me laugh a whole lot. on saturday we went to lunch, then we went to a county fair. i haven't done that since i was a kid. it was great...i felt like i was 10 again. they had these great carnie rides. i only rode one because it cost like 8 million dollars to ride one ride. after the fair, we went to downtown atlanta and went to see the braves play the marlins. i love baseball games! i love the whole atmosphere of them...the silly songs they play, the crowd interaction, the screaming, the excitement. fun times! after the game we went to eat at the varsity. so much fun!

it was so good to just sit around and talk and share things that have been going on since camp. things that everyone can't understand. prayer requests...scripture...how amazing God is and the ways in which he works. it was just great fellowship being around other christians who really care about what's going on with each other.

some things that i learned this weekend (or things that i was reminded):
*God is totally in control...
*my happiness and joy has to come from him. i'm never going to make myself truly happy
*i need christian fellowship in my life
*that i don't truly appreciate what God has given me...such as a loving family who is currently providing me with a free place to live. do i show them this love daily? i think not. sometimes i'm so unappreciative of what is right in front of me.
*the power of prayer and being faithful in prayer.

it really makes me realize what i'm missing out on. it makes me long to be in a church that i love. it makes me long for christian friends and intimate friendships. it makes me long to be out of my house. i have no idea what God is trying to show me through this whole thing, but i hope that he reveals whtat's in store very soon.

No comments: