Thursday, April 22, 2004

after work i go to walmart to pick up my pictures. i was so excited about getting them back and i figured i should pick up some stuff i needed while i was there. so i run in really quick, get the stuff i feel like i can't live without (frozen pizza, tortilla chips and cheese dip, trash bags...), then head toward to register to check out. at this point my running total for how many times i'd been nearly run over with a cart stood at 6. despite all that, my spirits are still at an okay level. of course i get in line behind a lady who bought every single item in her cart (which was full to the top) with coupons. so i stand there and give her my "polite yet fake" smile, while deeply sympathizing with the cashier who definitely was not thrilled to be there. my turn comes and i place my items on the conveyor and the guy starts to scan them and place them in the bags. the whole time he's ringing up my purchases, i'm searching for my debit card. i can't find it anywhere. so then i start freaking out. i'm thinking to myself the whole time "it has to be in there, i don't know where else it would be!" so i quickly apologize to the guy and ask him if i can run out to my car to get my checkbook. he looks upset with no sign of sympathy in his face, which makes me feel even more stupid than i already feel. i run out to the car in the pouring rain and grab my checkbook, flip to the back of it and there are no checks. i don't use checks often and i remember writing my bills out last month and using the last one. at this point my brain is going a million miles a minute..."what do i do, should i just leave? or do i go home and get it and come back? do i need to tell him?" i decide the best thing to do is go back in and tell the guy so he's not just standing at the cashier with my junk. i walk up to him rather embarassed and i tell him the situation...he is not happy at all. i felt like such a stupid airhead. he flips the light on and another guy came over...i explained the situation and he said he was going to take it to customer service and i could just pay for it when i came back with the money. "don't worry, it happens all the time," he said. i'm sure it happens to people all the time, but me? it's not an everyday occasion. anyway, i took care of it all and it worked out fine. needless to say, my quick trip to walmart turned into an hour long event and i had a bad case of road rage on the way home.

No comments: